Monday, December 31, 2007

Reflection and Anticipation

New Year's Eve brings a time of reflection and anticipation for many people, myself included.  Part of my living a purposeful and passion-filled life involves taking time to reflect on what transpired for me this past year -- events, relationships, accomplishments, disappointments -- and develop further insight into how they influenced and shaped both my "person" and my life.  And like many people this time of year, I look forward to the next year and envision what I want to create, experience and achieve.  

The most significant development this past year for me involved both loss and unexpected gain.  When my company was acquired by a larger competitor and it became evident that most of the people in my department (including me), as well as many others that I had worked closely with in other functional areas would not survive, I experienced much grief over the loss of a job I enjoyed and business relationships that I knew would not continue in the same fashion.  I didn't realize until the loss was imminent how much I enjoyed working with the people that had come to be a part of my weekly, if not daily, experience.  I was particularly surprised at the intensity of my grief given that many of the people I was working closely with I had only been introduced to in the past year.

One of the characteristics that can occur during times of acute change in the workplace is that people open up, let their guard down, and let others into their previously private places.  As the acquisition/dissolution unfolded over the course of several months, I began for the first time to have meaningful conversations with colleagues that I had worked with for months and in some cases years.   Some of these co-workers I saw almost daily, and others I had never met face to face and had previously interacted with only superficially.  These colleagues shared their values with me.  They shared their life philosophies with me.  And in some cases their fears.  It was inspiring and, simply speaking, great.  It was also bittersweet, because it took losing our jobs to gain these new ways of connecting.  There are many wonderful, spirit-filled people in the workplace.  It is a shame that due to our corporate cultures, our insecurities, our belief that we are different and separate from each other, that we keep our spirits hidden away at work.  

I wonder how much happier, productive, creative, insightful, and effective we could be at work if we allowed our full selves to show up on a regular basis?  Exploring this topic and helping others experience these results is one of the intentions and visions I have for my clients (individuals and organizations) that I intend to manifest through my coaching.

It is impossible for me to examine this past year without reflecting on several special, important, and in some ways life-changing relationships that were revealed to me as a result of my association with Solectron.  Some of them were existing relationships that evolved and changed in unexpected and delightful ways, and others were new ones that were delivered to me like a surprise package.  They all are divine and serve to inspire, heal, inform and enrich my life significantly.  They are relationships that won't continue in the same fashion as before, but will instead become richer, fuller and bring continued growth and blessings to my life.  I am grateful to all of you.

The holidays have served as both an intermission and a bridge for me -- creating a symbolic time-out from the busyness that we get caught up in as well as providing a transition from the life I was living in 2007 to the one I am going to create in 2008.  The lack of outwardly-directed activity and structure -- businesses closing, friends focused on their families and celebrations, no meetings or coffees or lunches to attend -- has felt at times like an unwelcome interruption to my favorite team's bowl game.  It has also given me time to be more present with myself and my family, and to gain some perspective on the events that happened in 2007.  

I am anxious to turn my attention to next year.  It holds tremendous potential. When I am feeling hopeful, optimistic and inspired, I know that pursuing my life-purpose in my work will bring new and wonderful people and experiences into my life, deepen my existing friendships, and provide me with an abundance of financial reward.  I know I will have a positive and affirming impact on those I engage with as well. As the friend of author and former attorney Tama J. Kieves said, "if you're this successful doing work you don't (absolutely) love, what could you do with work you do love."   The coming year will also present additional change and challenges -- intellectually, emotionally and financially.  But I am developing new tools, new insights and a deeper faith to manage the inevitable unsteadiness and sometimes downright terror that accompanies major changes and associated challenges.  

I have noticed that writers in the area of personal growth, coaching, and other spiritual endeavors almost always include inspirational quotations.  This is one of my current favorites:

The world lies in the hands of those
who have the courage to dream and
who take the risk of living out their dreams
 -- each according to his or her own talent.

The Valkyries

Blessings and peace for the New Year.


Teresa

1 comment:

skyhawkdrb said...

I agree with both your sentiments and observations Teresa. The world we live in actually allows us to be less dependent upon one another than even 50 years ago and certainly 100, so when an experience like "losing a job" occurs it should be used to rekindle our dependency upon "neighbors" (wherever in the world they live) as well as family.